Application: Critical Incidents in Academic Institutions
When schoolteachers or academic personnel are highlighted in the media, it is usually because of some impropriety or unethical violation of a standard of behavior. Usually, schoolteachers or academic personnel are not praised for their tireless efforts to educate students or help their communities. For example, in 1997, Mary Kay Letourneau was a schoolteacher at Burien’s Shorewood Elementary School. She was married with four children when she had an intimate, sexual relationship with one of her 12-year-old students. This relationship resulted in two pregnancies and Mary Kay’s 7-year incarceration for second-degree child rape (Mitchell, 2005).
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
One might think this type of behavior is uncommon; however, there has been an increasing amount of inappropriate and unethical behaviors among schoolteachers and academic personnel and students. Interestingly, it is not only negative critical incidents that need to be considered but positive ones as well. Positive critical incidents can include feedback from coworkers that show an individual can work effectively as a team member or improved student test scores.
As a potential personnel consultant, you might consult for an academic institution, so it is necessary that you understand how critical incidents may be used in job analysis.
For this Application Assignment, review the media, “Employee Observation” and “Employee Interview,” that depict the job of a middle school teacher. Use this information to create a critical incident job analysis.
Mitchell, M. (2005, May 20). Wedding of Mary Kay Letourneau and former student shrouded in secrecy. The Seattle Times. Retrieved from http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/home/index.html
The Assignment (3–5 pages)
Conduct a critical incident job analysis that includes the following:
- Provide two examples of critical incidents (one positive and one negative) for the middle school teacher depicted in the media, “Employee Observation.” Please do not use the incident described in the introduction to this assignment. Also, use the news media or personal experiences to identify critical incidents.
- Based upon the critical incidents, identify two or three KSAOs ( Knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics) the employee in the media needs in order to be successful as a middle school teacher.
- Summarize the critical incident job analysis process and the potential results for the employee in the media.
- Summarize five skills that an incumbent SME needs to possess to provide a critical incident job analysis.
- Explain the significance of these skills.
- APA format
Support your Application Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the Learning Resources for this course.
Submit your Assignment by Day 7.