The following describes the information you should include for the tree. In your paper use each of these
seven topics as a subheading and then provide the requested information for each topic after the
1. Common and scientific names e.g. Ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa). The common name for the
dominant conifer around Flagstaff, AZ is ponderosa pine and its scientific name consisting of the genus
(Pinus) and the specific epithet (ponderosa) is Pinus ponderosa. All trees will have a common and
scientific name. Note that the genus and species names are italicized or they can be underlined.
2. Distinguishing Characteristics What character(s) make this tree easiest to distinguish from other trees
including trees in the same genus.
3. Botanical Description Describe the tree’s leaves, branches, crown, bark, and flowers. This should be a
detailed, technical description of the tree’s leaves/needles, flowers/cones/catkins, bark, crown shape,
branches, buds, and maximum height and diameter. This information can be obtained using on-line
sources, but don’t copy and paste this information from sources.
4. Geographic Range Describe where the tree occurs naturally, and also include a map that you find
from a source. Be sure to provide the source for the map that you find.
5. Silvical Characteristics What type of soil does the tree prefer: Is the tree shade tolerant or intolerant?
How much moisture does it need to survive? Does it occur in pure stands or usually in mixed species
forests? If the tree grows in mixed species forests, which other trees commonly occur with it? How long
does it usually live (age range)?
6. Uses of the tree’s bark, leaves, flowers or wood. Medicine, landscape planting (ornamental use),
Christmas trees, paper products, lumber products, etc.
7. WHY I FIND THIS TREE INTERESTING OR
The post How much moisture does it need to survive? Does it occur in pure stands or usually in mixed species forests? appeared first on Essay Hotline.