The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week on the basis of the course competencies covered. For this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned and complete your participation for this assignment by Day 7. To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use resources from the South University Online Library.
As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format. Support your work, using your course lectures and textbook readings. Helpful APA guides and resources are available in the South University Online Library. Below are guides that are located in the library and can be accessed and downloaded via the South University Online Citation Resources: APA Style page. The American Psychological Association website also provides detailed guidance on formatting, citations, and references at APA Style.
• APA Citation Helper
• APA Citations Quick Sheet
• APA-Style Formatting Guidelines for a Written Essay
• Basic Essay Template
Post your initial response to one of the two topics below.
Watch at least 60 minutes of TV, focusing on the depiction of older adults. Analyze and discuss TV programming in the context of at least two of the following:
- Portrayal of elderly characters
- Intergenerational themes
- Conflict in relation to the older population
- Aging stereotypes or myths
- Cultural diversity in relation to quality of care
Discuss your own philosophy of aging.
- When do you think a person becomes elderly?
- What do you think of older people?
- Are they active, senile, debilitated, etc.?
- Provide a description of an elderly person that you know.