- Discuss your state NP community in terms of scope of practice. Include the your state’s scope of practice for NPs including: . Be sure that you carefully address each part of the assigned discussion, in full, with cited scholarly sources to support your statements. at least two paragraph each My state is Maryland
- Level of independence of practice
- Prescribing authority
- Any limitations of practice
- Process for obtaining licensure in your state
- Certification and education requirements for licensure.
- If you live in a restricted or reduced practice state, how has patient care been impacted in your local community from these barriers? For instance, is the ED used for primary care? Are the EDs overcrowded with long wait times? Are there urgent care clinics readily available? Is there adequate access to primary care? If you live in a full practice, how has independent practice of the APN resulted in improved patient access to healthcare?
- How does access to NPs impacts any healthcare disparities?
- Consider how patient care has been impacted in your local community by these practice barriers.
- For instance, is the ED used for primary care?
- Are the EDs overcrowded with long wait times?
- Are there urgent care clinics readily available?
- Is there adequate access to primary care?
- Are your rural communities adequately served?
- What healthcare limitations are present in your communities?
- Consider how unrestricted, independent practice of the APRN resulted in improved patient access to healthcare?
- Include in your discussion how access to NPs impacts any healthcare disparities.
- Be sure you clearly understand the concept of “health disparities” as you address this portion of the discussion.
- As a reminder, all writing submitted should reflect graduate student quality and APA writing rules. All writing informed by outside sources should include APA formatted citations and associated scholarly, current references. Buppert, C. (2017). Nurse practitioner’s business practice & legal guide (6th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
- include outside references other than the book
- Chapter 8 – Risk Management
Letz, K. (2017). The NP guide: Essential knowledge for nurse practitioner practice. (3rd ed.). American College of Nurse Practitioner Faculty. Las Vegas, NV.
- Chapter 11 – Justifying and promoting the profession
Teitelbaum, J. B., & Wilensky, S. E. (2017). Essentials of health policy and law (3rd ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
- Chapter 13 – Public Health Preparedness policy
Health disparities are any difference in health outcomes between populations of people. Consider the impact of poverty, race, gender, disability etc. on various health outcomes. The goal of Healthy People 2020 was to eliminate health disparities and achieve health equity, thus improving health outcomes among all populations (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2020).
Healthy People 2020 (HP2020) defines health disparity as:
“a particular type of health difference that is closely linked with social, economic, and/or environmental disadvantage. Health disparities adversely affect groups of people who have systematically experienced greater obstacles to health based on their racial or ethnic group; religion; socioeconomic status; gender; age; mental health; cognitive, sensory, or physical disability; sexual orientation or gender identity; geographic location; or other characteristics historically linked to discrimination or exclusion” (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2020).
The HP 2020 definition of health equity is as follows:
“attainment of the highest level of health for all people. Achieving health equity requires valuing everyone equally with focused and ongoing societal efforts to address avoidable inequalities, historical and contemporary injustices, and the elimination of health and health care disparities” (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2020).
As you consider this week’s discussion questions, be sure to review the information here, as you prepare your responses and interact with the discussion.
Here is an excellent podcast regarding the importance of the nurse in health equity efforts.
Finally, please review this article r/t the APRN’s work in reducing health disparities.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (2020). Disparities. Retrieved from https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/about/foundation-health-measures/Disparities