Introduction and Alignment
This workshop focuses on clinical practice issues involving consumer/client safety that have the potential to negatively impact client and organizational outcomes. Understanding the interaction of biopsychosocial aspects that the client brings into the therapeutic relationship and staff and organizational influences can provide insights to guide effective care planning and advocacy activities.
Upon completion of this assignment, you should be able to:
- Compare and contrast characteristics of the client, healthcare provider, and healthcare organization that contribute to positive and negative client safety outcomes.
- Discuss strategies to minimize healthcare-associated risk or harm to the client (consumer) that incorporates client preferences and strengths, and healthcare provider factors.
- Formulate a plan to maintain a practice environment that emphasizes client safety in diverse mental healthcare settings.
- Website: Culture of Safety, Just Culture: The Joint Commission- Safety Systems in Behavioral Healthcare
- Website: ANA Position Statement ‘Just Culture‘ (2010)
- Website: Seclusion and Restraint- Consequences, Alternatives: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Website: The New York State Office of Mental Health Positive Alternatives to Restraint and Seclusion (PARS) Project
- Website Publication “Issue Brief #4 Promoting Alternatives to the Use of Seclusion and Restraint: Making the Business Case“
- Website: National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors Six Core Strategies:
- Website: SAMHSA – Intimate Partner Violence
- Video: Violence Risk Assessment A Practical Guide for Mental Health Clinicians
- Prepare a 1-2 page paper that reflects the readings for this week.
- The paper should include the following:
- Characteristics of the provider and organization that lead to both positive and negative patient safety outcomes.
- Develop a plan/discuss strategies that will allow for positive interactions with patients and provides patient safety in diverse mental health care settings.
- When you’ve completed your paper save a copy for yourself and submit a copy to your instructor using the Dropbox by the end of the workshop.
Question answered comprehensively
- Characteristics – both positive and negative addressed (20 pts)
- Plan/strategies discussed for safe patient care (20 pts)
Paper APA formatted, references and citations in correct APA format
Writing style/punctuation/grammar, minimum length of 3 pages