A 25 year old presents to Labor and Delivery with complaints of uterine cramping and lower back pain. She denies any vaginal bleeding at this time. She has related a history of preterm birth at 32 weeks gestation with her last pregnancy. The baby is 3 years old now and has no developmental issues. Her current gestational age is 30 weeks. determine preterm
She is 0+ and all other lab values are normal. NO noted STIs.
- Group B strep is missing from the labs – most often obtained at 35-37 weeks gestation.
- Without this information, it is often determined to treat the patient anyway – presumptively to protect a premature baby from the risk.
- What other information would you like to ask her?
- What nursing intervention will you provide?
- What screening tests are often obtained to help determine her risk for preterm labor?
- If it is determined she is in pre term labor what medications may you want to use with a providers order?
- Please also give a dose, side effects, and possible results of the medication.
The patient is now 3 cm, 100% effaced, -2 station. What is the plan of care for the safety of this patient and her baby? Fetal Heart rate is 160 with moderate variability. Contractions are now mild and 15 minutes apart in frequency.
- Magnesium Sulfate is used to stop the contractions and this has been successful.
- What is the dose you will start with, what is the maintenance dose?
- Please indicate what nursing interventions are necessary for use with Magnesium Sulfate
This paper is to be 500 words minimum written in APA style with references.
1. Student will discuss history questions that will be used for assessment and screening tests along with group B strep and its treatment in pregnancy . Discuss how you would determine if the patient is in preterm labor.
2. Student will discuss nursing interventions for preterm labor and also discuss what medications you may want to use with a provider including dose, side effects and possible results of the medication. For example Magnesium Sulfate or Terbutaline.
3. References are included in text AND in the reference page AND the body of the paper is AT LEAST 500 words.